PDA

View Full Version : Item # 20 C - Motion 2011-A - Amending Motion 2010-03 - For Voting

Bob Armstrong
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Item # 20 C - Motion 2011-A - Amending Motion 2010-03 ( Activity Rule for Life Governors ) – For Voting

Motion 2010-03 seeks to eliminate the “ life governor, with vote, without election “ system.

Motion 2011-A seeks to amend Motion 2010-03 in such a way as to keep alive the Life Governor system, but to subject Life Governors to an activity rule;

Here is Motion 2011-A:

Moved: Bunning/Craver –

Motion 2010-03, dealing with Section 6 of by law #2, is amended

1. by deleting from the current motion 2010-03 the first word “ deleting “ and substituting for it the word “ replacing “; and

2. after the sentences "The past presidents of the federation who have served as president for at least 2 terms. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next", adding “ with the following wording: " The past presidents of the federation who have served as President for at least 2 terms and continue to demonstrate that they are active governors by attending at any one annual meeting over a 2 year period or commenting or voting on not less than 3 governors motions in any two year period or attending at least 2 on line governors meetings over a two year period. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next. "

You are voting therefore whether to amend the main motion 2010-03 or not. If you vote for the amending Motion 2011-A, then motion 2010-03 will be changed to seeking to keep the Life Governor system, with an activity rule. If you vote against the amending Motion 2011-A, then Motion 2010-03 stays in its original form, seeking to eliminate the Life Governor system totally. Subsequently motion 2010-03 or the amended motion 2010-03 will then go to vote as well.

The statement posed for voting will be:

Motion 2011-A, amending Motion 2010-03 ( an activity rule Life Governor system ) should be adopted.

You will have 3 options for the answer: yes, no, abstain.

Voting on this motion closes at 11:00 PM EDT on Saturday, Oct. 9.

The meeting has been extended to Tuesday, Oct. 12 at 11:59 PM EDT, to accommodate this amending motion 2011-A, and the voting on the main motion 2010-03 or the amended main motion 2010-03, and motion 2010-04, if it is supposed to proceed too.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
The Vote - Meaning

Here is part of the voting notice sent to all governors this morning, regarding voting on Motion 2011-A:

" Procedurally, the matter is being handled as one motion amending another. So the amending motion comes to a vote first. So Motion 2011-A, which seeks to amend Motion 2010-03, will be the first of the three motions voted on. It will be posted for vote tonight at 5:00 PM EDT ( advanced a bit from the earlier scheduled posting time ).

So, this is what your vote means:

1. A vote AGAINST Motion 2011-A – you wish Motion 2010-03 not to be amended, and to continue to seek the elimination of the Life Governor system,.

2. A vote FOR Motion 2011-A - you wish Motion 2010-03, by amendment, to instead seek to keep the Life Governor system, subject to an activity rule.

Stuart Brammall
10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
When is the vote on 2010-03 going to be held?
The next online meeting?

Patrick McDonald
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
... whether amended or standing as originally worded, will start on Sunday, Oct. 10 and end on Oct. 12 ...

(see the sticky on the progress)

Bob Gillanders
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM
As CFC President, voting on this motion is a lose-lose proposition for me.:(

The Prez needs to keep his list of "enemies" to a minimum ;)

So I will play the Switzerland gambit and vote to abstain. :o

Hmmm.....a cowardly move, or a shrewd political maneuver! :rolleyes:

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-08-2010, 03:25 PM
As CFC President, voting on this motion is a lose-lose proposition for me.:(

I got an impression from reading about not-for-profit organizations that the President should refrain from voting, or to wait till the end and decide if his/her vote would be decisive (e.g. requires majority of 2/3, or necessary to break a tie). However, it is only a "good practice recommendations", i.e, the president has a right to vote in all cases. (and I think the CFC laws does not give the President the second vote to break a tie - need to check.)

update:
"the President shall have a casting vote in the event the voting would otherwise be tied."
Probably means that he has two votes.

Christopher Mallon
10-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't be against this so much except the level of "activity" required in no way meets my definition of the term "active" ..!

Valer Eugen Demian
10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I got an impression from reading about not-for-profit organizations that the President should refrain from voting, or to wait till the end and decide if his/her vote would be decisive (e.g. requires majority of 2/3, or necessary to break a tie). However, it is only a "good practice recommendations", i.e, the president has a right to vote in all cases. (and I think the CFC laws does not give the President the second vote to break a tie - need to check.)

update:
"the President shall have a casting vote in the event the voting would otherwise be tied."
Probably means that he has two votes.

Yes, the President has 2 votes and uses the 2nd one only to break a tie.

Lyle Craver
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Ladies and Gents,

Voting is now closed on the Amendment and voting on motions 2010-03 and 2010-04 begins Sunday morning with voting on the motions ending 11pm EDT on Tuesday.

Thank you all for your votes.