PDA

View Full Version : RA Harvest Active: the event announcement

Aris Marghetis
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
The EOCA is pleased to announce the first event of the 2008-2009 EOCA Active Series, the RA Harvest Active. It is scheduled for this coming Sunday afternoon. The plan is to start after lunch, and be wrapped up by supper time. As a new feature, all winners will receive customized engraved trophies!

For complete details for this event, and a great webpage for all of the events in the 2008-2009 EOCA Grand Prix & Active Series, bookmark this weblink:
http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments%202008-09.html

All the best,

Aris Marghetis, Organizer/TD
EOCA President, OCA/CFC Governor

P.S. As I am banned from the OCC board, please feel free to direct people to this post.

Aris Marghetis
10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
2008 RA Harvest Active

The EOCA is pleased this season to restart a series of Active events on Sunday afternoons. The first one, the RA Harvest Active, was held October 5th.

In addition to welcoming 16 eager players to the event, it was a pleasant surprise that one of them was GM Bator Sambuev, who happened to be in town!

There was officially only one section for all of the players, but the first two rounds were paired using accelerated pairings, which resulted in pretty good pairings across a rather broad range of ratings. As far as prizes were concerned, the players were split across 3 subsections of rating ranges, and the top score in each of these groups of 5 players (6 for the last group) won a customized trophy that is being engraved with their names in the next week or so!

In the 1st subsection (CFC Active 2482-1874), and quite as expected, GM Sambuev won with a perfect score of 3-0. And similarly in the 2nd subsection (CFC Active 1816-1779), Joey Qin also won with a perfect score of 3-0. Finally, the 3rd subsection (CFC Active 1650-1154) was won by Peter Arseneau with a score of 2-1, including a valiant last round effort against Joey, where both players launched simultaneous massive kingside attacks at each other!

In closing, thanks to Eric Van Dusen for assisting with the setup, which helped us start on time, which in turn enabled us to be wrapped up by dinner! :)

Yours in chess,

Aris Marghetis, Organizer/TD
http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments%202008-09.html
(crosstables to be posted after being rated by the CFC)

P.S. My next weekend event will be the National Capital Open in November. In addition, it will be a combined tournament with the Outaouais Open from the Quebec tour. So we should have very nice participation numbers! All players will be rated CFC, FQE, and even FIDE. I will be posting, emailing, and advertizing the complete details within a few weeks. If you would like to be added to my private email distribution, email arismarghetis at rogers dot com