PDA

View Full Version : Item 11B - Motion 2011-C - Upgrade to CFC Discussion Forums - for Voting

Bob Armstrong
10-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Item 11B - Motion 2011-C - Upgrade to CFC Discussion Forums - for Voting

Motion 2011-C - Upgrade to CFC Discussion Forums- for voting

Moved: Chris Mallon; Seconded : Egis Zeromskis

That the CFC upgrade its forum software at a cost of $50 USD.

Background: The CFC forum software is quite old and requires a lot of effort to keep spam-free, which new software does by itself. Also, new software will allow for new features such as FEN diagrams built in and possibly a PGN games viewer (not yet confirmed).

Bob Armstrong
10-05-2010, 09:08 AM
To accomodate the governors in the West, Bob G has now authorized an extension of the close of voting from 6:00 PM EDT to 11:00 PM EDT, on Thursday, Oct. 7.

Bob

Ellen Nadeau
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Didn't Bob G suggest this was not a motion to be voted on? I see he did vote.
It seems a bit ridiculous to have a motion for the $50 expense as others noted.

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 05:00 AM
This is something that only has come to a Governors' vote as the issue was raised by Chris Mallon during the Online meeting with the result a motion was made.

Had it happened last week or next week I would expect this to be handled routinely either by the Executive or on the President's sole authority.

The bottom line is that if the Governors don't trust the Executive or President on a $50 expenditure then you all should fire every last one of us!

It is completely ludicrous this should have come to a vote.

Bob Gillanders
10-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks Ellen and Lyle. At least somebody was listening.:)

When I saw the motion, I just chuckled and voted. ;)

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Had it happened last week or next week I would expect this to be handled routinely either by the Executive or on the President's sole authority.

The bottom line is that if the Governors don't trust the Executive or President on a $50 expenditure then you all should fire every last one of us!

I wrote about the need to update the forum several times. Nobody took care. Recently Chris proposed a motion, which I support with pleasure. This motion is not about trust. It is just to start the real process.

On other hand, the President within his power could just kill the motion and proceed with own decision (upgrade or leave as it is). The precedent was the last year when the President authorized Chris to clean up the CFC website paying him for that (300?). This time it is 50$ (and most of it goes for the software update).

Christopher Mallon
10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually I was paid $250 (never did get that bonus they mentioned lol), and the $50 USD would be entirely for software, nothing for me.

Maybe the motion wasn't the best way to handle it but it is one way to do it and it's rather clear-cut timeline-wise. Plus I was leaving and wasn't going to be back before the deadline to submit motions.

Also, the Exec might have decided to take a wait and see approach with the new website in the RFP process, but now we'll get the upgrade sooner.

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I can only speak for myself and not the whole Executive but I think the Executive understands full well that technically the Forum and the website RFP process are two separate items and should be handled separately.

I think it would be unbelievably obtuse to hold up a Forum software upgrade because we are working towards a new main site. Nobody to my knowledge is suggesting canning vBulletin or the Forum and my read is that there's a fair bit of good will built up towards it.

The main Executive comments on the subject of the Forum and the new site have been that the links need to be there and highly visible.

Accordingly let's get this done and behind us and back to our main task of promoting Governor and player activity as quickly as possible!

Lyle Craver
10-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Ladies and gents, voting is now complete on this motion.

Please note that under the vBulletin software once a vote has been closed no further votes can be cast but further comments by Governors can be made.

Voting on motion 2011-C passes 29-2 with 3 abstentions.