PDA

View Full Version : Item # 25A - New Business - Canadian Chess News

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
This is a new agenda thread requested by governor Egis Zeromskis, and authorized by Bob G. Possible items of discussion are cost of the newsletter and timeliness of publication.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Perhaps it is time to re-consider the late arrival of an online newsletter that is immediately out of date upon publication?

Tony does a great job -- but does the membership get sufficient value to warrant the continuation of this Project?

Did you know many members I speak to are not even aware of the existence of Canadian Chess News.

They figure En Passant went defunct and now they get nothing!

Fred McKim
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
As a CFC supporter I mention the CCN to just about everybody I run into at tournaments.......

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure if this has been touched upon... but what are the legalities with printing it?

For example, could someone print a whole issue and take it to their club?

Fred McKim
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Well, obviously any member is allowed to print one issue for themselves, after that there should be copyright issues.

Bob Armstrong
10-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi Fred and Chris:

I do a hard copy for each Issue of CNN, and we display it on our guests' table where we also put out our newsletter, history of Scarborough CC, some intenal club policies, etc.. This is as reading material for parents/guests.

Bob

Hal Bond
10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I think Tony does an outstanding job but I also question the perceived value.
Would it make sense to cut to 6 issues per year? I think we must honour the existing contract, but reviewing options ahead of time makes good sense.

Paul Leblanc
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
When the printed magazine was cancelled there were many disgruntled members. Now we can at least point to the newsletter and say that a CFC member gets something tangible. The cost appears to be about $10 per member per year. Cutting back to 6 issues would probably not save a full 50% since there are likely at least some fixed costs.
The biggest drawback I find is that I need a chessboard to follow the games. Is there a way of embedding a programme in the magazine that allows the game to be followed on the computer screen? I think that would make the magazine more popular.
I think that if we cancel the magazine, we need to do this in combination with the idea in a separate discussion board that we do away with annual memberships and charge a tournament fee to replace the revenue. Then there would be less of an issue with "what do I get for my membership?"

Ken Craft
10-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I support maintining CCN as a monthly publication.

Bob Armstrong
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree with Ken.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Is there a way of embedding a programme in the magazine that allows the game to be followed on the computer screen?

Once I saw a PDF file with an automatic (pgn) game replay. Not sure how it works with analyzed games and stop/go features. (and how it will mess up a printed version)

Garland Best
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I also agree with Ken.

Stuart Brammall
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Man, I think Tony looked at this thread and got worried--- I just recieved 3 copies of the newletter in as many hours.
Jokes, Jokes.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
the September 2010 Newsletter arrived here on Monday, October 04, 2010 7:53 AM

How relevant is a publication from last month.

Not relevant enough for a communications vehicle.

We need to be current and have it delivered in a timely fashion.

Email take seconds to hand the delivery aspect. What we don't need is a counter argument against this publication as having value when it is perceived to be old news even before it arrives!

The events advertised give the reader less than a week before getting news about tournaments this Thanksgiving weekend.

The Editor’s Inbox
"I welcome your comments on the newsletter, both good and
bad. Feel free to email your comments to the editor at
tficzere@telus.net. Please include your city and province.
The Editor
There were no letters to the Editor this month!"

Perhaps there are no letters because very few members even end up receiving this publication or looking at it. I think what has transpired today justifies another review of this cost and an evaluation of it perceived value.

Right now this model is broken.

----- Original Message -----
To: info@chess.ca
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 7:53 AM
Subject: CFC September 2010 Newsletter

Dear CFC Member,

Please find the September 2010 Newsletter attached along with it's *.pgn gamefile.

Chess Federation of Canada
356 Ontario Street, Suite 373
Stratford, ON N5A 7X6
Phone: (519) 508-2362
Fax: (519) 508-6595

Fred McKim
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
On the other hand it did contain results of the Olympics after 10 rounds, only available on Oct 2.....

That is 72 hour news, not too bad. Thus is the life of a monthly magazine.

Garland Best
10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
the September 2010 Newsletter arrived here on Monday, October 04, 2010 7:53 AM

How relevant is a publication from last month.

Not relevant enough for a communications vehicle.

We need to be current and have it delivered in a timely fashion.

So if instead this newsletter was titled the October newsletter, then everything would be ok??

I interpret the title "September Newsletter" as meaning "Newsletter of events that occurred in September".

Getting a newsletter delivered in the first week of the month, every month, is timely. If you wanted to better advertise a tournament being held on Thanksgiving, then submit the advertisment 3 months in advance (July) ,so it can be published in the newsletters published in August and September.

The current delivery of content runs rings around what we had 3 years ago, and is worth reading.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
So if instead this newsletter was titled the October newsletter, then everything would be ok??

"Publication is the 21st of each month." from the newsletter.
How long does it take to deliver? (should be 1-3 days for the E.D. to redirect the email)

My concern that the newsletter is delivered late, and their is no explanation for that. If there are problems, it would be good to know.

Fred McKim
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
From Tony:

I will try harder to get the issues out on time. My apologies to the readers for being late. I am trying to find another person here in Calgary who can help me with the newsletter. That would help considerably.

Lyle Craver
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
So do I.

The only possible copyright concern would be if someone was re-printing it and SELLING it.

Speaking for myself and not for the Executive, if we had a member motivated enough to print out 500 copies and distribute it freely to all his chess playing buddies I'd say "Glory Hallelujah"!

The main thing I think the CFC needs to be doing is publicizing local events in a quick and timely fashion so that TDs routinely post events and players look there to find them. I do not think we should follow the USCF and charge for this service as with the demise of the print magazine this is one of the most valuable services we can provide to members.

Gordon Ritchie
10-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I support maintaining the CCN as it stands.
Great job, Tony.