PDA

View Full Version : Item # 8 - CFC Handbook Updating Subcommittee – Update

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Item # 8 - CFC Handbook Updating Subcommittee – Update

The introductory post/ report is by member Kerry Liles, the one-person Subcommittee, on his current work in progress ( he volunteered for the position in 2009-10 ):

I am finished the updates to incorporate the AGM changes in the handbook and have forwarded it to the Procedures’ Committee for any final comment…. It will then be able to go live on the website...

Once that is finished, there are a number of wording "cleanups" that ought to be done - a lot of the wording here and there is awkward or just irrelevant. I think those sort of changes can be considered minor editing rather than formal updates.

As for the future: I think it would be a good idea to completely reformat the handbook so that it has proper section numbering and consistent numbering of sections etc. One result of that would be one document that could be published in several formats (right now, the handbook is available only as a set of web pages). Having a single document means it can be more easily searched for terms or references etc. It is not too large to make a single document unwieldy.

PS: when I say "reformat" I do not mean changing the order or content of individual sections, rather just make the formatting and numbering of items/paragraphs consistent. The only potential issue I can envision is renumbering items might make it harder to relate to old GL’s where mention is made of "Section X item Y" but perhaps that is not a big deal?

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Having a single document means it can be more easily searched for terms or references etc....
PS: when I say "reformat" I do not mean changing the order or content of individual sections, rather just make the formatting and numbering of items/paragraphs consistent.

Good points by Kerry Liles. Reformat is a must.

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Just keep a list of everything that gets renumbered, and post that in an appendix to the handbook, or in the GL section of the website.

Cross-linking things would be good too, but having one consistent numbering system throughout would be great (see the FIDE Handbook).

Fred McKim
10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Is the only member of the sub-committee even at the meeting. I don't think he's a Governor.

I made a whole list of things that need to be updated, about 6 weeks ago. I think this is a non-ending job.

Bob Armstrong
10-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Fred:

You are right - Kerry is not a CFC governor.

Also, I see no reason that you cannot send proposals for Handbook " clean - up " directly to Kerry ( kerryliles@rogers.com ). He and I, as Chair of the main committee, keep in close contact, and he will alert me to change requests.

It is a judgment call of Kerry's, run by me, whether a proposed change actually requires a formal motion.

Bob

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 04:05 AM
What does that last sentence actually mean?

This is clearly something that the Executive has final say on.

Myself I favor lots of reformatting BUT rewording of actual Handbook sections particularly in Sections 2 and 3 (the bylaws) would cause me to vote against such changes unless done with Governor approval.

There is plenty of material in the Handbook in later sections that could be editted as they accurately describe things as they were as opposed to now. A section on the proper use of SwissSys would be most welcome.

Most of all (and this is the most thankless part of the whole process) a thorough review needs to be done to ensure we are not in conflict with the latest and greatest FIDE regulations since unlike the USCF, the CFC has always taken steps to be fairly close to FIDE. This would be best done by a team of International Arbiters but is as I say the sort of job that is about as 'nitty gritty' as it gets!

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Oops - I hit send too soon!

One thing that was deleted from the last major Handbook revision was Jonathan Berry's cartoon titled "What time is the next round?" and I would hope it could be scanned and included in the next edition. It is a classic cartoon and every tournament director I have talked to completely relates to the cartoon!