PDA

View Full Version : Item # 15 - Non-Executive Officer Vacancies – Update

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Item # 15 - Non-Executive Officer Vacancies – Update

Currently, there are three non-executive officer positions that are vacant: Women’s Coordinator; Tournament Coordinator, and Public Relations Coordinator. Bob G will report on the current status of this item soon after the opening of the meeting.

Bob Gillanders
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I am pleased to say we have made some progress towards all 3 vacancies Bob A. has mentioned in his opening post.

Tournament Coordinator - No brave soul has stepped forward to tackle this challenging post yet, but we have started the ball rolling. I am pleased to announce that Gordon Ritchie has agreed to chair the Tournament Coordination Committee. This is begin the work of the Tournament Coordinator. A number of invitations have been sent out to our experienced organizers and TD who have experience running larger tournaments. Visit thread #12 for more information.

Women's Coordinator - I am pleased to announce Daxin(Anna) Jin as our new Women's Coordinator. Anna is a fresh new face on the CFC political scene. Some of you involved in the youth program may already know Anna. Her daughter Jiaxin(Dora) Liu is one of our promising young stars. Anna is a lawyer in downtown Toronto working as an International Arbitrator and Negotiator. Anna is fluent in Chinese, Russian, and English. We need to all support Anna in her efforts to champion the cause of women in Canadian Chess. :D

Public Relations Coordinator - Bob Armstrong has taken on this task on a temporary basis. We all owe him a very large thank you for blazing the trail here. His press releases have already borne fruit. :)

Michael von Keitz
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
The newly appointed Women's Coordinator seems a departure from the norm. As far as I am aware, the position is generally filled by an experienced player. I look forward to seeing the effects of the shift.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Daxin(Anna) Jin as our new Women's Coordinator. Anna is a fresh new face on the CFC political scene.

I say welcome aboard with "open arms".

When good people step forward to volunteer - we at the CFC would be well advised to encourage this. New blood.... fresh face.... and a willingness to work on all our behalf for the improvement of Women's Chess in Canada.

Welcome aboard Daxin Jin!

Bob Armstrong -- please stay on permanently as our PR publicity director.

Good help is hard to find... please continue your progressive work in this area!

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Posted today, Oct. 1, on the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum by Daxin ( Anna ) Jin, new Women's Coordinator:

CFC Women's coordinator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Hello Everyone,

I am so happy to have this opportunity in CFC committee. I will try my best rise women's team higher rank in world chess stage with all players and parents' help. Hope will get support from everyone! "

Bob

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Someone with a little more time to check can confirm for me, but the Women's Coordinator is/isn't a Governor? If she is, we should get her in on the meeting.

Bob Armstrong
10-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi Chris:

Gerry and I checked this out a while ago, and non-executive officer positions are governors-at-large. Thus, for example, the Masters' Rep., Eddie Urquhart, is a governor.

For my own personal purposes, I have now added her to my Governors' E-mail group, so she will get future governor e-mails I send out.

But I think Bob G should send her a specific invitation to now attend this meeting, since she has now been a governor since her appointment. And Lyle should add her to his list of 59 governors - we now have the nice round number of 60 governors ( with 3 vacancies for the three territories, and 2 vacancies for the non-executive officer positions of Tournament Coordinator and Public Relations Coordinator, should they not already be governors if filled ).

Bob

Bob Gillanders
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I just sent her the invitation and asked Chris to give her access.

Thanks.

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 03:35 AM
The governing paragraph in the CFC Handbook on the role of non-elected Governors is paragraph 20 of Handbook Article 2 http://chess.ca/section_2.shtml is somewhat contradictory as it is title "Officers are Governors" while the paragraph then goes on to say that they "enjoy the same rights as the members of the incoming Assembly" during their term of Office.

Clearly anyone described as 'having the same rights' as a Federation Governor else isn't one themselves.

Note that this refers to non-Executive officers, members of the Executive as well including the President.

Thus there has been the suggestion that elected Governors represent their province even if subsquently elected to the Executive (aka "Board of Directors") or named a Federation officer but if they haven't been they represent the country as a whole.

I think this is absurd and should be a priority item for amendment.

In the meantime, it is not correct to describe Miss Jin and the other Officers as CFC Governors - they merely enjoy the same rights as one and therefore should not be described on the Forum as a Governor. My preference is that rather than being described as "CFC Governor" she be described as "CFC Womens' Coordinator".

This is my own view (which I have submitted to the Executive for confirmation) but in the meantime I do not think it proper to refer to anyone but an elected Governor or a Governor at Large (as described in paragraph 6 ) of this section as a Governor.

Some may describe this as "anal" but the Handbook is what it is and where there are contradictions - and Article 2 Paragraph 20 IS contradictory in the header, it is our duty to take action to amend it.